Is that Disk Cleanup button missing on your drive properties?
Do you have a huge Windows\Winsxs folder or are struggling for space?
Well, if Disk Cleanup is missing from your system, or doesn’t look like the picture above, you can download a hotfix from Microsoft given a few simple preconditions.
- For Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, make sure you have at least Service Pack 1
- Add the Desktop Experience feature to your server (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772567.aspx)
- Install the hotfix detailed here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2852386
- You will probably need to restart your Server.
- Now, run CleanMgr.exe, select your drive and choose your options.
The WinSxS folder can contain many old Windows Update files that are no longer needed. Disk Cleanup can help you safely remove those, and a lot more!
Note – this may not entirely delete the WinSXS folder, but it does kill anything it can, safely.